Garbage and Recycling Information
The Rock Rapids Municipal Utilities includes the charge for garbage and recycling collection on the monthly billing. The City of Rock
Rapids oversees this service and sets billing policies. If you have questions regarding garbage or recycling collection, please call
472-2553 or contact them by e-mail.
Garbage is picked up every Monday morning beginning at 4:00 A.M. Each household will be provided
a 65-gallon garbage cart by their garbage hauler. The carts are owned by Denny’s Sanitation and Town & Country. The numbered carts
are assigned to a specific residence and must remain at that residence.
The guidelines for using the garbage and recycling carts are:
· Set your cart curbside, in the same location each week, with the wheels and handle toward your
· The carts need to be 5 feet from any other obstacle (trees, cars, poles, etc.)
· Everything must be inside the appropriate
cart, with the lid closed.
Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, brush, or garden trash) is not to be mixed with garbage. This waste
should be taken to the tree dump, east of the fairgrounds.
Rock Rapids has a mandatory recycling program. Each household will be provided
a 95-gallon recycling cart by their garbage hauler. The carts are owned by Denny’s Sanitation and Town & Country. The numbered
carts are assigned to a specific residence and must remain at that residence.
Recycled items are picked up on the first and
third Thursdays of each month. Please make sure your recyclables are clean and dry. Place your cart out for collection by 6:00 A.M.
Click here for the recycling guide. Refer to the calendar for the exact dates of recycling collection.
If you have
more recycling than will fit in your cart with the lid closed, please call your provider and make arrangements directly with them
to pick up the excess. Check the side of your cart for which provider to contact (Denny's Sanitation at 472-2293 or Town &
Country at 472-2493).
Items that can be recycled are:
· Corrugated cardboard
· Pizza boxes
· Newspapers, including all inserts
· Catalogs, Magazines & Phone Books
· Hardcover & Paperback books, with covers removed
· Office & School paper
· Colored paper
· Shiny paper
· Junk mail
· Shredded paper, bagged separately
· Brown paper bags
shoe, pop, kleenix (etc.) boxes (fiber board)
· Paper egg cartons
· Paper cups
· Aluminum foil & pans
· Aluminum & Tin
· Empty Aerosol spray cans
· All plastic containers with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 on the bottom
· Milk & juice jugs
Pop & Beer cans
· Pop & Water bottles
· Lotion bottles
· Dish & liquid soap bottles
· Bleach & detergent containers
Ice cream tubs & yogurt cups
· Cooking oil containers
· Household cleaning containers
· Plastic cups
· Plastic bags &
plastic food wrap (bagged in plastic bags)
Please do not include the following in your recycling:
· No Glass!
· No LED, CFL or
fluorescent light bulbs!
· No Batteries & cell phones!
· Frozen food & juice boxes
· Dirty paper plates, cups &
· Paper towels
· Facial & toilet tissues
· Wax paper
· Styrofoam & packing peanuts
· Plastic utensils & plates
Disposable baby & adult diapers
· Garden hose
· Landscape plastic & tile material
· PVC pipes
· Medical supplies
· CDs & DVDs
· Dinnerware & glassware or ceramic material
310 S Third Ave.
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Ph: (712) 472-2511
Fax: (712) 472-2512
8:00 - 4:30
Closed Weekends & Holidays